08 January 2010

Star Struck (Part 1)

I like to think that I’m the sort of person who doesn’t get caught up in all the celebrity bullshit. I couldn’t care less who stole who’s husband, who doesn’t wear underwear, who’s sporting a “baby bump,” or whatever other crap is plastered on the covers of gossip magazines that solicit us in the checkout lines of grocery stores. I’ve sold wine to TV personalities without flipping my lid, I’ve spotted musicians at restaurants without feeling the need to fawn over them, and the time a certain drugged out Hollywood starlet said “hey” to me in a bar bathroom I nodded casually and walked out. Basically, I’m cool. But the fact of the matter is that I have been star struck 3 times in my life…all by the same person.

Our first encounter took place at a Bright Eyes show in March of 2007. I had been looking forward to the show for well over a month and had hopes of standing in the front row to watch Conor Oberst in all his glory. So imagine my disappointment when my sister's friend, from whom she was getting her ticket, didn't arrive until 8:30 (doors were at 7). Upon entering the packed El Rey any remaining hopes of a "good spot" were shattered, so I promptly headed to the bar to begin coping. Then we took up stance toward the back of the theater next to the aisle

As I was sipping on my beer casually listening to the opening band I noticed Michael Runion walk passed me down the aisle. Being aware of his affiliation with Rilo Kiley/Jenny Lewis I pointed him out to my sister and joked that Jenny Lewis herself may also be in attendance. My hopeful suspicions were then heightened upon sightings of some of her other associates: M. Ward, Johnathan Rice, and even Blake Sennett! Mr. Rice passed me and then stopped just a few feet behind us where he joined some friends in the crowd. Being a fan of his music as well, I was intrigued by his presence and looked back a few minutes later just to be sure it was really him.

Upon turning around to catch another glimpse I spotted standing beside him a short, red-headed woman engaged in conversation. Shocked and excited, I turned to my sister, "is that…” dare I say it, “…Jenny Lewis?!" She glanced behind us and confirmed that it was in fact my idol. At this point I felt about ready to have a heart attack because JENNY FUCKING LEWIS was standing less than 15 feet away from me! I continuously turned around throughout the show, because how could I not look? Noticing me totally geeking out, my sister advised me to calm down and pay attention to the show. First of all, the band that we had payed to see was playing. Second, and more importantly, if continued, my frequent peeps may be discovered by the object of my gaze; which is a bit creepy in and of itself, but adding to the creepy-stalker vibe, I also happened to be wearing a Jenny Lewis T-shirt.
   
So I returned my attention to the musical genius of Mr. Oberst for a while, but couldn’t help but steal a glance back just a while later. This time, however, Ms. Lewis was gone.  I turned to my sister and with great disappointment, informed her of the new development.  She told me to casually go to the bathroom, checking the lobby on my way to see if they had migrated there. So I exited the theater and sure enough, Jenny, Johnathan, and the whole crew were huddled near the lobby bar. I continued past them into the bathroom, so as to seem like I was not stalking her.

After taking a minute in the bathroom to compose myself I returned to the lobby trying to muster up enough courage to approach Ms. Lewis. As I entered she broke away from her friends and headed toward the door.  She was alone and this was my opportunity. I took a deep breath and prepared to walk toward her, but just as I was about to take my first step I saw her wave to a woman entering the venue and they began to converse. At this point I was only about 4 feet way, but was feeling discouraged; I considered giving up and returning to the show. But just as I was about to turn around a thought struck me: this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, what would my friends say when they found out that I hadn’t taken advantage of it? I had to do this. So I stood there awkwardly waiting.

Less than a minute later Jenny turned to walk back to her friends and spotted my shirt: Born SecularJenny Lewis. Here she pointed at me and exclaimed "whoa!" then took a step closer. Oh my god, Jenny Lewis is talking to me! My head was reeling and I was so extremely nervous—I mean, I have trouble talking to normal people and suddenly I had found myself in the presence of a goddess! With the biggest, nerdiest grin on my face I attempted to cover my shirt and replied, voice shaking, "I'm so embarrassed that I'm wearing this right now."

"Why? That’s so cool." she returned. "This is embarrassing, I feel so dorky" I repeated with my hands still across my chest. She placed her hand on my shoulder, "No, that’s so cool, that’s so sweet." she smiled. Then there was a brief second of awkward silence as we stood staring at each other. "Well, uh, i-it-its really nice t-t-to mee...” I attempt to stammer out, when staring at my shirt she again stated, "that’s really sweet."

"I-I'm a huge fan" I said feeling a bit more confident now. "What’s your name?" she asked putting out her hand. I answered. "Mine's Jenny." We shook. "See it says it right there" she continued as she put her finger to my shirt. Oh my God she touched my breast! "I know!" I exclaimed, still in total disbelief that I was actually speaking with Jenny Lewis! "So, any news about the new Rilo Kiley record?" I asked trying so hard to sound cool, collected, and normal, despite the burning in my cheeks reminding me that I looked anything but. "Uh…we're finishing it up" she responded cryptically. "So still no release date or are you keeping it a secret?" I so lamely and dorkily (so much so that it requires I make up adverbs) tried to joke. "No, no. We're working on it, trying to finish" she smiled again. "Cool," I responded as I decided to let her free, "well…thanks for being so nice." I think I may have even touched her shoulder at this point.  She simply laughed, shrugged, and said "Dude!" Then we went our separate ways.

Following our conversation I re-entered the theater with the largest smile on my face. I had to immediately brag to my sister that I had in fact met The Jenny Lewis, who touched my boob, called me “dude,” and said I was sweet, thus making my life complete.